STEPS TO ADOPT:
1. Submit an application through the link on our website
(submitting this application doesn't mean you're required to adopt! We keep them on file until the right fit comes along.)
2. Send a follow up email to email@example.com
3. Send photos of your barn, shelter, food/water space, pasture to the email above
4. Book a viewing to meet any horse(s) that could potentially match your needs
5. Ensure it's a good match for horse & human, then sign an adoption contract
New Start Standardbreds was founded in 2020 to assist in the re-homing of Standardbred horses across the province of Ontario. In 2022, New Start Standardbreds has teamed up with the Standardbred Retirement Foundation in the USA, to take on overseeing the adoption contracts for slaughter rescued horses coming back to Ontario / Eastern Canada.
New Start Standardbreds works with Standardbred owners and caretakers to ensure that their equine(s) find safe, stable and caring homes through our application and assessments that match horses to adopters. We also operate a thorough post-adoption checkup "Champions" program, which ensures the long-term happiness and safety of all horses that go under the New Start Standardbreds name.
While the majority of horses that will come through the New Start doors are horses retiring off of the racetrack, or are already in post-race careers; New Start also operates a specialized program that will focus on elderly and injured Standardbreds. These horses are the most at-risk for finding themselves in auction houses, or sent directly to dealers.
New Start Standardbreds is a registered Canadian Charity.
We are also a proud member of Standardbred Canada.